Weekly Insights from Sam Fisher 🐝⚖💛 — Issue #17
BUILD BACK BETTER!
PSA — Let’s Retire Rubio
We are starting with our friendly reminder to help elect Rep. Val Demings to the Senate. We need more Democrats in office to help pass critical legislation that is being held up in the Senate. Please click the link below to donate to her campaign!
Join Sam and Contribute to Val Demings! Let’s Retire Marco Rubio! — secure.actblue.com
Join us! Contribute today.
BBB For You And For Me
Nancy Pelosi has the votes to pass President Biden’s BBB plan. When enacted it will be a life changing act for many Americans. It will transform our country. It is truly that significant. However, we have the Senate to contend with. We know 2 (Manchin and Sinema) are no votes. We also know the GOP is likely to vote against it. So where does that leave us?
We hope that we can convince enough Republicans that the BBB is the right thing to do for America. We hope that we can show Republicans a way that takes politics out of the voting process to help gain passage. We HOPE. In reality the only way forward is to bring BBB to the Senate floor and get Republican votes on record. I wonder if they will take the chance to block a popular bill and hope they can still be elected.
What’s In The Bill
There’s much misinformation going around from the media, Republicans, and “progressives”. You’ll hear that it is either too big or too small or not needed at all. None of that is true. In fact, this bill, as I said before, will be transformative. To give you an idea of the scope and impact of this bill here are some of the highlights from it:
- Offers universal and free preschool for all 3- and 4-year-olds
- Makes the largest investment in child care in our nation’s history
- Delivers affordable, high-quality care for older Americans and people with disabilities in their homes
- Provides 39 million households up to $3,600 (or $300 per month) in tax cuts per child by extending the American Rescue Plan’s expanded Child Tax Credit
- The largest effort to combat climate change in our history
- Delivers substantial consumer rebates and tax credits to reduce costs for middle class families shifting to clean energy and electrification
- Ensures clean energy technology
- Advances environmental justice through a new Clean Energy and Sustainability Accelerator
- Bolsters resilience and natural solutions to climate change
- Biggest expansion of affordable health care in a decade
- Reduces prescription drug costs
- Strengthens the Affordable Care Act and reduces premiums for 9 Million Americans
- Closes the Medicaid Coverage Gap, Leading 4 Million Uninsured People to Gain Coverage
- Expands Medicare to cover hearing benefits
- Makes the single largest and most comprehensive investment in affordable housing in history
- Extends the expanded Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) for around 17 million low-wage workers
- Expands access to affordable, high-quality education beyond high school
- Promotes nutrition security to support children’s health
- Strengthens the middle class through a historic investment in equity, safety, and fairness
- Invests in immigration reform
- Stops large, profitable corporations from paying zero in tax and tax corporations that buyback stock rather than invest in the company
- Stops rewarding corporations for shipping jobs and profits overseas
- Asks the highest income Americans to pay their fair share
- Invests in enforcing our existing tax laws, so the wealthy pay what they owe
The Build Back Better Framework | The White House — www.whitehouse.gov
President Biden’s three-part agenda to rescue, recover, and rebuild the country. It includes the American Rescue Plan, American Jobs Plan and American Families Plan.
Looking at the various benefits and opportunities provided through the BBB you can see why Republicans are against it. The most vulnerable Americans will be helped. Education will be available to a larger group of us ensuring a smarter, more mentally capable electorate. Health care will be more readily available. Children will have early educational opportunities that have proven to benefit development. Childcare will be available to assist families with providing safe environments for their children while they work or go to school. We deal seriously with immigration. And climate change is comprehensively addressed.
All in all it means we as Americans will be better off. The bill is fully paid for with provisions to reduce tax avoidance and increases tax rates for the wealthiest Americans. It is the right thing to do. So that also means Republicans cannot let this bill pass. The Republicans see this bill as a GOP killer. Who would vote for a Republican after enacting such a bill? They would have to change their party fundamentally. Would that necessarily be a bad thing?
Let’s be real. If America was a homogeneous society this bill would’ve already been passed. However this is ‘Murica! Land of the free (white people), and home of the brave (racist that hide and plunder in the dark). It’s as if the mantra of white America is “All for me, none for thee…”
White supremacy is stopping America from progressing. White Americans are fighting to preserve their hold on their privilege. They don’t want to relinquish that spot because they fear reprisals for their evil deeds. Will we be able to get BBB done? I’m hopeful. But I’m clear eyed. I’ve lived in this country as a Black man confronted by and pushed back by systemic racism.
Until white America decides their sins must be atoned for and true equality for all Americans as they claim we will be at an impasse. We need to continue to fight for equality, justice, and BBB!
I have a bone to pick! I’m going to discuss race vs culture. You won’t want to miss that one! Please stay safe, and thank you for reading!